Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Introductions - i.e., Why the hell am I doing this?

Greetings, all! "Mama Griff" here, coming at you quasi-live from Marburg, Germany. You may wonder why I am starting a separate blog just about cooking, especially given that (as those of you who are acquainted with me may know) I am no gourmet chef. But you may also know that I nevertheless love to cook. I find it very relaxing - a way to take your mind off of the stressulf things in your life. It is also a creative activity, in which you actually make something fun and exciting, which you then get to enjoy (and hopefully destroy) afterward. Construction and deconstruction - birth, death, and leftovers - tragic messes and great successes ... Call it what you will, cooking can be interesting.

But it can also be expensive. Half the fun of cooking is making big, elaborate meals that you can share with your friends, family, or even strangers. But when you're cooking for one on a limited budget, it can also take a bit of the wind out of your culinary sails, so to speak. And this is why I wanted to start this blog: to bring you the message that cooking can be exciting, even for inexperienced single chicks or dudes with ghetto kitchens and bank accounts emptier than their refrigerators. For I am a poor, single graduate student, who is currently living abroad in Germany and who is operating out of what is likely the tiniest kitchen anyone will ever have to deal with. My hope with this blog is that I can share the successes (and failures!) of my (admittedly limited) cooking experience with you - and perhaps find some excellent recipes and ideas along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment